Twitter is the most real-time of all social media networks – meaning people are posting hundreds of times per second. If you’re new to Twitter, it’s easy to feel like you’ve been left behind. Here are the top 3 tips for keeping up with Twitter, whether you are using it for yourself or your business.
1) Tweet Rate. If you tweet too often, you can annoy users into un-following you. If you don’t tweet enough, you look inactive and therefore boring. A happy medium is tweeting about few times a day, or several times a week.
2) Keep it Interesting. Don’t use Twitter as a sales platform. That makes you look like a spammer, and people won’t follow you. Inject some personality into your tweets, Twitter is the most casual of the social networks. Also, include some content to keep people coming back for more.
3) Be Engaging. Twitter is the most conversational of all social networking platforms. If you’re not interacting with other users, you’re not using it to its full potential. Re-tweet, reply, and use hashtags.
Three Rookie Mistakes to Avoid
1) Too long a tweet. If you have your accounts linked so that your Facebook posts are automatically posted on Twitter, it’s easy to go over Twitter’s 140 character limit.
2) Blind linking. If you’re going to tweet a link, make sure to make it clear what you’re linking to. There are a lot of spammy Twitter users out there, and people don’t want to click on a shady-looking link.
3) Ignoring your follower list. Again, there are a lot of spam Twitter accounts. Make sure you occasionally check who is following you, and block users with sketchy profile pictures or bios.
If you want some help utilizing Twitter for your business, the social media specialists at SEO PRO can help. Sign up for our social marketing plan today.